Position: Land Development Engineering Inspector Date: May 15, 2017
Report to: Director of Land Development
Department: Land Development Location: Port St Lucie
As a Land Development Engineering Inspector, perform residential development plan(s) review for compliance with related elements of the Land Development Code, Comprehensive Plan and other permitting programs/activities.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
* Reviews development construction plans, subdivision plats, ‘as-built’ drawings, roadway and drainage plans, storm water management facilities plans, contract specifications and cost estimates.
* Review and evaluate shop drawings for compliance with the plans and specifications.
* Review and evaluate geotechnical reports for compliance with the plans and specifications.
* Performs on-site inspections to ensure that work meets construction drawings and design standards and coordinate inspections with the appropriate permitting agencies.
* Evaluate the testing and inspection operations of construction of subdivision projects to ensure compliance with the plans, specification and engineering standards.
* Inspects materials and installation in the field to verify compliance with the plans and specifications.
* Makes recommendations and resolves conflicts involving engineering plans and all ancillary plans and project documents.
* Conducts and attends staff meetings and conferences to discuss development review and other technical matters.
* Assists the Engineer in the review process of development plans from consultants, engineers and in-house design staff for compliance with government regulations, ordinances and construction design standards.
* Plans, directs, supervises and evaluates the work of subcontractors engaged in the testing and inspection of construction and repair of roadways and subdivision projects.
* Verifies that site grading, road alignment and infrastructure work meet the width, depth, grade, elevations, drainage, and mixture specifications.
* Conduct field investigations regarding roadway and drainage complaints.
* Performs related duties as required.
* Prepare and maintain NPDES compliance log and associated reports.
* Prepare and maintain permit logs.
* Schedule, attend and document all required inspections by permitting agencies having jurisdiction over the work.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
* Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college/university with major course work in Civil Engineering or related field preferred
* Must have a minimum of three (3) years of experience in the field of Civil Engineering Inspection or construction.
* Must have a valid driver’s license at the time of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
* Knowledge of land surveying, land use, water and sewer systems, other utility systems for various engineering work and activities.
* Ability to use good judgement and make independent decisions.
* Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work projects.
* Ability to communicate engineering information effectively, both verbally and in writing.
* Ability to establish and maintain courteous and effective working relationship with employees, officials and the public.
* Ability to use personal computers or remote computer terminals, desk and cell phones, typewriters and other office equipment of the assigned work unit.
* Possess ability to learn and become knowledgeable and abide with county goals, procedures, practices, regulations, policies and ordinances, including the Employee Handbook and related regulations.
* Ability to work flexible schedule including long hours, and occasionally work evenings and weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, bend, stoop, sit, stand, crouch, climb stairs/ladders, and kneel. Employee will also be required to drive and walk active construction sites.
The employee must be able to lift, push and/or pull materials/equipment which may weigh up to fifty (50) pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include ability to see and distinguish colors and shapes.
Employee must be able to independently operate a motorized vehicle.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Occasionally exposed to loud noise level of construction site.
This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions, and may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.