Position: Land Development Engineer Date: May 14, 2017
Report to: Director of Engineering
Department: GLH Engineering Location: Palm Beach County
Land Development Engineer shall design residential and commercial development plans, coordinate with various agencies for permitting of such designs and perform engineering field inspections.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
* Site planning
* Engineering design due diligence
* Basin, watershed and flood plain analysis and design
* Utility layout
* Design, permitting, analysis and inspection of improvements associated with residential subdivision and commercial projects including, but not limited to:
o Individual sewer septic systems
o Wastewater collection, pumping and pressure systems
o Water distribution systems
o Stormwater conveyance, treatment and attenuation systems
o Roadways and parking lots
o Earthwork and site grading
* Create and develop engineering construction plans and details.
* Perform roadway, drainage, utility and other calculations.
* Develop engineering design specifications and cost estimates.
* Review engineering construction plans, site plans, subdivision plats, ‘as-built’ drawings, roadway, drainage and utility calculations, design specifications and cost estimates.
* Perform on-site inspections to ensure that work meets engineering construction plans and design standards. Conduct various field investigations as required.
* Make recommendations and resolve conflicts involving engineering plans, field issues and other land development items.
* Research, understand and apply pertinent government agency rules, standards, codes, regulations and ordinances.
* Conduct and attend meetings and conferences related to engineering design, review and other technical matters.
* Prepare reports, letters and other correspondence as necessary. Coordinate with local, state, and federal agencies regarding any development projects within their jurisdictional areas.
* Assist the Engineering and Land Development departments in engineering design, permitting, review, inspection and various other responsibilities.
* Perform related duties as required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
* Graduate of an ABET accredited four (4) year college/university with major course work in Civil Engineering or a related field.
* Must be a registered Professional Engineer, Engineering Intern or be able to obtain registration in the State of Florida within four (4) years of employment.
* Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to secure a valid Florida driver’s license at the time of employment.
* Must be familiar with AutoCAD and Civil3D. At least one year AutoCAD experience preferred.
* Experience with AGTEK or other Earthwork Estimating Software is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
* Knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering as related to land development.
* Knowledge of land surveying, land use, roadways, water and sewer systems, other utility systems and ability to prepare feasibility study, engineering reports, letters, memorandums, etc., for various engineering work and activities.
* Ability to use good judgement and make independent decisions.
* Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work projects.
* Self-motivated, able to work independently to complete responsibilities and respond to requests.
* Ability to collaborate with others to utilize their resources and knowledge to identify high quality solutions.
* Ability to communicate engineering information effectively, both verbally and in writing.
* Ability to establish and maintain courteous and effective working relationship with employees, officials, agencies and the public.
* Ability to use personal computers or remote computer terminals, cell phones, iPads and other office equipment of the assigned work unit.
* Possess the ability to learn and become knowledgeable and abide with company goals, procedures, practices, regulations, policies and ordinances.
* Ability to work somewhat flexible schedule and hours. Position may require employee to work long hours on occasion, including early mornings, evenings and weekends.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIROMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, bend, stoop, sit, stand, crouch, climb stairs and kneel. Employee will also be required to drive and walk active development and construction sites. The employee must be able to lift, push and/or pull materials/equipment which may weigh up to fifty (50) pounds, for a short distance. Specific vision abilities required by the job include ability to see and distinguish colors and shapes. Employee must be able to independently operate a motorized vehicle.
Approximately 85% performed in climate-controlled internal office environment working under normal office conditions. Approximately 5% travel may be required in support of the position’s responsibilities. Approximately 10% field inspection and site visit may be required. Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Occasionally exposed to loud noise level on construction site.
This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions, and may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.